Monday, August 08, 2005

Why I am Not Buying an HDTV Anytime Soon

I got asked about Saturdays’s blog why don’t I have an HDTV if I am watching all these HD channels? I’ll be glad to address that. Just a couple of years ago I would say lack of content would be the biggest problem for me to get a set: spend several thousands to watch almost nothing. Now there are plenty of programs on the major networks, big cable networks and subscription channels. The hurdle for me is mainly technical.

Resolution
Most sets I can afford, and many I cannot, are not full resolution. Most have more pixels than a 1280x720 HD broadcast, but since most shows are in 1920x1080 everything must be downconverted. Weirder than that most monitors that have significantly less than enough pixels for 1080 but enough for 720p performance do not work natively at 720p either, up converting to 1080i then down converting for the actual pixel count.

Color
Everyone loves the LCD and plasma sets you can hang on a wall. I am no exception but I am not buying yet because no technology comes close to the color and black level reproduction of a good tube set. Digital Micro-mirror devices (DMD) are close, but they still have to be housed in a big rear projection cabinet. Call me when I can get tube like performance to hang on the wall like a Picasso.

Interconnectivity
I am waiting for the standards for HD-interconnectivity to be worked out and it is taking far too long. New connectors are being shown on a daily basis (hyperbole, but barely) meaning a set from one company may not work with a decoder from another. That is a nightmare. Plus there are no standards for content protection. While I like as much control over my ability to watch, I think we need to come up with a plan for content protection that everyone agrees to or else HBO may not work with your set but will with your neighbors. Who wants to invest in a set that may not work with new devices and content in just a year’s time? HDTV has been on market for 5 years, how long until this is sorted out?

All of this should be resolved in the coming years, hopefully sooner than later (but with arguments over content controls that might take the longest).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home