Sunday, September 18, 2005

HDCP

Some called me paranoid, some called me insane. However, for once in my life I have proved the masses wrong… ah… sweet vindication…

A few weeks ago I wrote about why I am not buying an HDTV in the near future. Now, these sets are getting hot (and the picture quality is amazing), but I warned you about standards needing to be in place. Well, it appears that the first Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players coming out will be the first to shoot down older TVs. They will include High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP), designed to protect the content providers from illicit digital copying.

So, you got your $2000+ HDTV and finally you are going to get your HD-DVD. Chances are it won’t work. If your TV is non-HDCP (as most are right now), the HD-DVD player is programmed to downconvert the high-def picture to standard definition, as good looking as your current DVD picture, but no better. Are there any solutions except buying a new HDTV to replace your slightly less new HDTV? None yet. I doubt the HDCP license will be granted to a box to convert HDCP-protected content to non-protected for use on your set. That would negate the effectiveness of using HDCP.

Again, the industry is screwing the consumer. While I do not begrudge the content holders attempts to protect their work (which has proven ineffective in the past, but that’s another story), all this should have been worked out before the first HDTV ever came off the line!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home